Versatile Recipe for Homemade Dog Treats
Basic Recipe for Homemade Dog Treats
1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1 cup boiling water
2 tsp. beef bouillon granules
1/3 cup melted margarine
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tsp. granulated sugar
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup milk
1 whole egg, lightly beaten
3 cups (maybe a little more) whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place oats in bowl and pour boiling water on top. Stir in bouillon granules. Mix and let stand 10 minutes.
- To the oat mixture, add melted margarine, cornmeal, sugar, peanut butter, egg, and milk. Mix well.
- Gradually add just enough flour to form a stiff dough.
- Knead dough for several minutes until it is smooth and not sticky, adding flour as necessary.
- Roll dough to 1/2" thickness & cut into shapes (slice into squares if you don't have cookie cutters).
- Place cookies 1/2" to 1" apart on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until golden (check on cookies in 30 minutes to make sure that the bottoms aren't browning too much).
- Let cookies cool, then serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Chicken-flavored dog biscuits: substitute chicken bouillon granules in place of the beef bouillon.
Cheesy pet treats: replace the peanut butter with 1 cup grated cheddar.
Flavor burst: substitute low-sodium beef or chicken broth in place of the milk.