Recipe for Home-Made Oat Dog Treats
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 tbsp liquid honey
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir together the peanut butter, honey, oil, and broth until thoroughly combined.
- Mix in the flour and oats.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour and place the dough on top. Roll dough to a 1/4" to 1/2" thickness, depending on the size of your dog and how they like their cookies.
- Cut out cookie shapes. A dog-themed cookie cutters is nice if you have one, otherwise just use what you have or slice into strips. We have a mid-sized dog and cut ours into strips about 1" wide by 2" long.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet. Place cookies at least 1/2" apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes to 18 minutes, depending on the thickness of the cookies. Let them cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack.
Make sure the treats are thoroughly cooled before offering them to the dogs. The treats will be softer than a typical dog biscuit, so they are easy to break into pieces for use as a reward while training.
These gourmet home made oat dog treats smell great and they are so easy to make your own! For variety, the chicken broth can be replaced with beef or vegetable broth. Store baked treats in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Check out our other recipes for homemade dog treats.